History of Fisherman Harbor

6464043001_676c2eee3f_b

The first non native settlers of Fisherman Harbor (It was first called Fish Harbor) were here because of the huge Seabeck Mill and Shipbuilding Company that was established across the water  in 1860.

Myra, Ann and Joan’s grandfather, John Bergeson was a shipwright who commuted to Seabeck along with others who came here to set up logging camps or just ply their trade as sawyers after the Point No Point Treaty opened billions of board feet of our area’s timber to the United States.  Fish harbor was one of many places that was used to skid, boom and tow logs to the mill.

When the mill burned in 1886, the residents started ranching, fishing, barging and anything else to make a living…including logging and towing timber to feed the huge appetite of  local mills (Port Hadlock, Ludlow and Gamble were still thriving).

Back then there were no roads connecting Hood Canal with other areas on the Peninsula. Everyone got where they were going by boat.   Hood Canal was buzzing with traffic from the Mosquito Fleet that came from Seattle and went to  Quilcene – the point of origin for the railroad that winded its way to  Port Angeles through Port Townsend.

colman_dock_seattle_wa_circa_1912

They stopped along the way at other docks too. Fish Harbor was a sizable port for the large steamers, who dropped off passengers and supplies to the FIsh Harbor wharf  which was ocated outside and to the West of our spit.  People going to places like Camp Harmony were shuttled to shore by rowboats, arriving in varying states of dryness.

When the mosquito fleet disbanded, there were still local pilots shuttling people around Hood Canal. Our wharf had a post office, grocery store, a few storage buildings and a road that was built by the residents to connect the wharf with the residents in the inner harbor.

wharf-location

The original site of the wharf, post office and grocery store. Residents built a road along the west side of the harbor all the way to the inner harbor.

It wasn’t until much later that a primitive road was built connecting Coyle to the Dabob Post office down in Tarboo Bay. This road was later rerouted to the intersection at the top of Coyle Road that we use today.

wharf

Comments Off on History of Fisherman Harbor

Filed under Coyle

Comments are closed.